Sunday, February 18, 2007

Bill Plympton

Yeah, its been a couple of weeks since my last post but I havent found the time or motivation to sit down and scan things and all that jazz. So, last week I got to meet one of my animaiton heros. Bill Plympton came to Chicago as a part of The Animation Show. The Animation show is an animation festival similar to Spike and Mikes twisted animation festival. www.animationshow.com . The festival is produced by Mike Judge and Don Hertzfeld.




So we got to see a bunch of awesome animation including Bill Plympton's latest short called "Guide Dog." Its a follow up to last years oscar nominated "Gaurd Dog." It was hillarious as usual but I was extremely impressed with Joanna Quinn's short called "Dreams and Desires."

She has a similar style to Bill, in that its really shaky looking but the animation is great. It also looks like she used charcoal, and the camera angles and acting are outstanding.

Check her out here: http://www.animationshow.com/eu.aspx?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.berylproductions.co.uk%2f


Here's a little clip from Joanna's movie:


So after the show, I got to meet Bill and get a picture and a couple of autographs from him. He drew a little picture for you if you bought a DVD or something from him. Check out his site: www.plymptoons.com All in all it was a great time and I got to meet one of my all time favorite animators. Not a bad Friday night!

3 comments:

Pedro Vargas said...

Hey, Ryan!

That's so cool you got to meet the one and only Bill Plympton! His stuff is great. He came by my school and I got to meet him as well. He was a guest lecturer and he also drew me that same dog picture on that exact same postcard you have. He also showed some recent stuff he's working on along with Guard Dog and Guide Dog. The man's a genius and his stuff is hilarious! I also like Joanna Quinns's stuff as well. I think she's the same animator who does the Charmin bear commercials.

Ryan G. said...

Wow Pedro! You know yer stuff man! Yeah Joanna did those commercials. Ive been a huge Plympton fan even before Ren & Stimpy! The man is a genius. Its not everyday that we get to meet out heros - so I was pretty happy!

Anonymous said...

John K. and Bill Plympton are coming to Chicago for The John & Bill Show.

May 25 and 26 at the Portage Theater

www.thejohnandbillshow.com

It's only happening one weekend, and only in Chicago.