Sunday, October 01, 2006

Check out my Movie!

Well, my movie has been done now for a couple of weeks and I finally got around to posting it. So, thats me with the stack of 1887 frames I had to trace for my Intro to Video final. For those who dont know what rotoscoping is, ill give you a quick run-down. Basically, its tracing over film. I shot the original footage myself, edited it, and then exported the movie into jpeg files. I printed the frames out, punched holes in the top with the animation hole puncher, and then layed a blank sheet on top and traced the figures. I ended up using about 50 black Prismacolor color pencils. The entire project took me about a month and im really glad its done. I didn't go out on the weekends and didn't get much sleep while working on this project. My friend Bryan Tims from my school helped me out with a couple of scenes. He took on about 8 seconds of animation and did a fantastic job adapting to the style I was working in. I had to make a quick way of drawing the frames and tried not to spend more than 3 minutes per drawing. Some scenes took longer than others, especially the scenes with 2 figures.

I used the song "Go It Alone" by Beck from the album Guero.

The actors in the video are my brother Jeff Guimond, my girlfriend Nicole Duran, my roomate Dylan Barrett, and myself for a second..

Well here it is.. Id love to hear some feedback from you guys!

Click Here to Watch!!




25 comments:

Spill The Beans said...

That is totally sick. I'm amazed at your talent.

Ryan G. said...

Hey thanks! Glad you enjoyed!

Anonymous said...

ya done good .i really enjoyed it..the character acts just like jeff would act in a situation like that..l laughed out loud..i sent the link to jr and robin..hopfully they will respond..good job dude..im proud of ya...ron

Ryan G. said...

Hey Ron! Glad ya liked it. I laughed outloud filming Jeff.. He was an idiot.. but in the best way..

heri said...

1887 drawings? good use of your time! oh man Ryan, The story and the isolation of the figures against a white background, the sketchiness, the rough lines on the bodies and more detail shaded faces makes it sweeter to watch! I watched it 6 times. :)
ha.. the little smooth walk of the guy that had all the moves is awesome!!!!

Ryan you da man!

-heri

Baron said...

Dang G, awesome video!!

Hey I'm working on a new team blog, would you be interested in joining?

Ryan G. said...

Hey Baron! Thanks man! As far as the team blog goes, sure.. I dont know how much I could commit to it since im pretty busy with school and work, but possibly occasionaly..

Muffin said...

OMG! That's film -- I dont know wether it is because I love the song or what - but it SO gave me a kick! :D I loved it, aah, so fluently and well done. Gosh, that must've been so much fun making. :) Myfavorite scene is definataly the one after the girl has passed and he desides to go after her and just flips around perfectly aligned with the music and rythm. Awesome! Kudos, man. Kudos.

Ryan G. said...

Hey thanks Muffin! It was hillarious filming that scene too!

Danne8a said...

Great Film, Ryan!
Soooo Much energy and very funny too.
The music also goes very well with the animation.
This could totally be a Beck video even.
Just out of curiosity, did you film the Entire thing on 'ones?'
Anyway, great job!
I am a huge fan of your work!

Peace

Danny8a

Ryan G. said...

Danny: Since video is 30 fps, I printed out the frames at 15 fps and then shot it on twos!

Tooninator said...

That Rocks!!! I graduated from Animation so usually I'm not a fan of rotoscoping but this is wicked. Good stuff.

Marc Deckter said...

Cool film!

Ryan G. said...

Thanks Mark!

Tooninator: Thanks man! Im not the biggest fan of rotoscoping either. Its not completely horrid though. I wouldnt even dare of doing a project like this for any of my animation classes.. It was for a Video class and I thought I should keep it artsy..so it was either this or stopmotion of some sort..

da buttah said...

i've watched this everyday this week

you suck.

79sac said...

Yo guimo, fu@#in right on man! you got jeffs facial expressions done pat when he takes off his shades and starts gabbin. i give you 10/10 bajows! next time shots on me!!
..79er

Kali Fontecchio said...

Nice work!

Beezle said...

I like it Ryan! You add a fresh take on the rotoscoping style.

Ryan G. said...

Kali and Beezle:

Thanks guys!

da buttah said...

alright homeboy..it's been 15 days..UPDATE HO!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ryan
That's a great movie. I LOL at Jeff and Nicole. Great actors!
Keep up the great work!

XXOO A.Cindi

Anonymous said...

nice job, nice job. When dude was playing the guitar, the anmation was so smooth. nice smoke effect, too.

ya boy, aidan

Ryan G. said...

hey what up Aidan! see you for Thanksgiving bro!

Anonymous said...

With all of your obvious talent,you must have an extremely gifted father.

Octav said...

great animation! i love it when the music stops as he fixes his jacket right at the begining!

it all gose so well: the script, the beat and the animation. totally COOL